Weekend headlines …
T-minus 72 days until the home opener, 70 days before the Osprey open at Helena, and only 4 days after today to e-file your tax returns. If you’re doing the paper variety, however, you still have until Apri l18. When the government will actually process it, however, is a different story …
- Miguel Montero is about as hot as a sidewalk in Phoenix in July right now, getting a base hit in each of his first seven games, and going 13-for-26 (.500) to start the season. Montero also liked the way the D-backs were able to open the home schedule with a win over the Cincinnti Reds.
- Stumbled across this nugget of information about the rotations in the minors, as well as some other information about former Osprey with full-season clubs.
- The Sunday Skim also includes the following pieces of info as far as the D-backs’ full-season teams are concerned:
Triple-A Reno managed to win twice on Sunday over Salt Lake, taking two of three games in the opening series of the season. Jordan Norberto picked up the save in the lidlifter of the twinbill, forced by a snow-out on Opening Night. Tom Layne (2007) also made one appearance in the opening series, scattering three hits and a walk in three innings, and one earned run. John Hester started just one game of the series, and went 0-for-3.
Double-A Mobile had a 9 a.m. MT start with Carolina in the end of their five-game series, with Jarrod Parker (2007) aiming to get off to a good start this season and help the BayBears finish off the sweep. Taylor Harbin (2007) is off to an 8-for-12 start, with three runs scored, a double and two RBIs. And, oh yeah, Paul Goldschmidt (2009) had a heck of a debut. Goldy collected an RBI single with two out in the 3rd inning on Monday. You can follow the game here.
Class A Advanced Visalia has stumbled out of the gate, but there are four former Osprey who are leading the team in hitting. The pace-setter should be no surprise – it’s Adam Eaton (2010) , who after last night’s doubleheader split with Bakersfield, is hitting .412 with two doubles, a home run, and five RBIs. The other three leaders in batting – catcher Rossmel Perez and first baseman/outfielder Kyle Greene, who were teammates in Missoula in 2008, and second baseman David Nick (2009).
If the record is 0-3, it must be the start for the Class A South Bend Silver Hawks, who have dropped their first three games for the past five seasons. However, in three of the last four occasions, the Hawks made the Midwest League playoffs. And while the Hawks have had issues with their offense, they shed all of those problems and pounded the Fort Wayne Tin Caps on Sunday.
- There are several former Osprey currently at Extended Spring Training, with one of them being left-handed pitcher Mike Belfiore (2009). He suffered from a slight muscle pull in his mid-section, and should be headed to Class A Advanced Visalia within a couple of weeks. Belfiore is currently listed on the South Bend DL, but according to what we have heard, Belfiore will head to Visalia. Then again, stranger things have happened before …
- By the way, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic is going to include a minor-league update on his blog nearly every day. We’ll directly link to any information involving former Osprey that is mentioned within it, which may be hard to avoid, since there are close to 50 former Osprey in the four full-season squads for the D-backs.