There are 27 days before Opening Night, 25 days before the 2011 season begins in Helena, and more boxes to move. Yup, the Osprey Team Store and offices will be part of the MSO Hub, which opens on June 1.
– Good news from the injury front – the D-backs removed outfielder Roberto Rodriguez (2010) from the 7-day disabled list late Wednesday. R-Rod should be back in the South Bend lineup tonight when the Silver Hawks play a pair against Lake County.
– Notes from the former Osprey who played in Arizona’s 2-1 win over Colorado:
Miguel Montero (2002-03) had an 0-for-3 day at the plate, with a walk … Gerardo Parra (2006) was 0-for-4 (and he is 0-for-the-series) … and Carlos Gonzalez (2003) was 1-for-4.
– Former Osprey relief pitcher Jose Valverde (2000) continues to make his mark in the Detroit community.
– Speaking of relievers, a converted one, Jerry Gil (2000), managed to shut the door for Triple-A Louisville last night in a win.
– Lyle Overbay’s struggles continue at the plate, and the 1999 Osprey alum is trying to get back to where he was in Spring Training. Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle gives his assessment.
– There is some convergence of former Osprey in this article, namely left-hander Greg Smith (2005) and catcher Javier Brito (2003-04).
Minor League Update
– Triple-A Reno: The Aces took care of Round Rock on Wednesday, 7-2. Bryan Shaw (2008) pitched a scoreless inning and struck out a batter in the win.
– Double-A Mobile: The BayBears were scheduled to play 14 innings in two games on Wednesday … and instead managed to get in 25. The lidlifter of the doubleheader went very well – an 8-0 win featuring Paul Goldschmidt’s 16th home run of the season (and two hits). Ollie Linton (2008) added three hits and a RBI, Taylor Harbin (2007) had a 1-for-3 game, and Jake Elmore (2008) posted as close to a perfect line that you can with one hit – he also hit a sacrifice fly, was hit by a pitch and scored a run in one official trip to the plate.
Game 2 – wow, 18 innings, and a 5-4 BayBears win that featured three position players pitching (two Osprey – one has before, the other made his debut), one pitcher playing a position, three innings in which both teams scored a run (the 12th, 13th and 14th innings), and, finally, the game-winning run scores on an error with two out in the bottom of the 18th. Oddly enough, former Osprey surrendered the three extra-inning runs – two by Elmore, one from Clay Zavada (2006). Bryan Henry (2007) was solid, allowing one run on four hits and two walks in five innings of work, with six strikeouts. At the plate, Linton went 3-for-7, Goldy was 2-for-7, and Kyle Greene (2008) went 2-for-8 with an RBI.
– Class A Advanced Visalia: The Rawhide lost a 14-12 slugfest to Stockton on Wednesday. The Ports overcame a 12-7 deficit with a seven-run top of the 8th, the final three runs surrendered by Victor Capellan (2009), who took the loss. Trevor Harden (2008) struggled, allowing seven runs (five earned) on six hits and five walks in 6 2/3 innings. Adam Worthington (2009) pitched a scoreless ninth. At the plate, both David Nick (2009) and Chris Owings (2009) had four hits and a RBI each, Rossmel Perez (2008) had two hits and a run scored, while Adam Eaton (2010) and Bobby Borchering (2009) each drove in runs.
– Class A South Bend: The game schedule for Wednesday with Lake County was postponed due to rain. It will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Thursday.
Today’s games (and Osprey probables):
AAA Reno (28-19) at Round Rock
AA Mobile (25-20) vs. Jackson – Jarrod Parker (2007) is scheduled to make the start tonight.
A Adv. Visalia (21-25) vs. Stockton
A South Bend (22-24) vs. Lake County – Bradin Hagens (2009) gets the Game 1 start, while JR Bradley (2010) will go in Game 2