Just days away …
We’re 19 days away from the season opener, 21 days from the home opener, and three days before Osprey Ticket Day.
– The D-backs had their seven-game winning streak snapped by the Florida Marlins on Tuesday.
– Nice start from Jarrod Parker (2007) on Tuesday, his best of the season, in fact, in a close win for Mobile.
– Goldy Watch: A quiet night for Paul Goldschmidt (2009), 0-for-2 plus a walk and a run scored. The average now sits at .330, with 17 home runs and 48 RBIs. More on the game is below in the Minor League Recap.
– Robby Rowland (2010) reported to his friends that he has made his final Extended Spring Training start over the weekend. Rowland also did not give any indication where he may be headed to begin his 2011 season, although wherever that is, he may end up getting the ball on Opening Day.
– Tony Barnette (2006) is having a solid start to the season for the Tokyo Yakult Swallows of the Japan Central League. Barnette has made 12 appearances out of the bullpen, going 1-0 with a 1.42 ERA, with 18 strikeouts in 12 2/3 innings pitched while allowing just one and a quarter baserunners per 9 innings pitched.
Minor League Update
– Triple-A Reno: The Aces somehow managed to pull out an 11-10 win over Tacoma on Tuesday. Kyle Greene (2008) is still looking for his first Triple-A hit after posting an 0-for-5 line in the contest. He is currently 0-for-7 with a walk in two games played – and a pitching appearance.
– Double-A Mobile: In the 2-1 win over Mississippi, Taylor Harbin (2007) drove in a run for the BayBears, while Ollie Linton (2008) also singled for Mobile in the triumph.
– Class A Advanced Visalia: Chris Owings (2009) had two hits, while both Bobby Borchering (2009) and David Nick (2009) added a baseknock, but it was not enough for the Rawhide to take down Bakersfield, as the Blaze picked up a 4-3 win. Victor Capellan (2009) pitched an inning of shutout relief, striking out a pair of batters.
– Class A South Bend: Patrick Schuster combined with two relievers on a four-hitter, as the South Bend Silver Hawks jumped out to an early lead and cruised to an 8-0 win over Cedar Rapids on Tuesday. Schuster (2009-10) allowed three hits and three walks, but fanned four batters over six innings of work, lowering his ERA to 3.36 in the process. Ramon Castillo (2009) hit a two-run home run, Ender Inciarte (2009) had two hits and two runs scored, plus an RBI, while Matt Helm (2009-10) added two hits and a run scored for South Bend. Raul Navarro (2010) also chipped in with a hit and a run scored, while Eury De La Rosa (2009) pitched two innings of one-hit, one-strikeout relief.
Today’s games (and Osprey probables):
AAA Reno (32-22) beat Tacoma, 3-0, thanks to three former Osprey closing out a three-hitter.
AA Mobile (28-24) at Mississippi
A Adv. Visalia (23-29) at San Jose – Mike Belfiore will get the start tonight for the Rawhide.
A South Bend (27-25) vs. Cedar Rapids – Bradin Hagens (2009) gets the call tonight for the Hawks.