The Missoula Osprey open in a week. They open at home in nine days. Get your tickets now!!
– Be on the lookout for the announcement of the 2011 Osprey roster. Don’t know which days as of yet, but it will be coming soon …
– Esmerling Vasquez (2004) gets back to being able to pitch in a game tonight, after serving a two-game suspension for the beanball incident involving the Washington Nationals earlier this month.
– Somehow, someway, Daniel Schlereth (2008) keeps on finding a way to stay on the Detroit Tigers’ 25-man roster.
– Gerardo Parra is involved in the Gold Glove talk. Funny how no one has talked more about his defensive ability until this season, but he has worked as hard on his defense as he has his hitting.
– Goldy Watch: Paul Goldschmidt, recently named Topps Player of the Month for May, had a double and a walk in three official trips to the plate in a 6-0 loss at Birmingham on Sunday. He’s hitting .343 with 21 home runs and 59 RBIs.
Minor League Update:
– Triple-A Reno: The Aces fell to Colorado Springs, 7-6, and wasted a solid pitching effort by left-hander Tom Layne (2007), who allowed just two runs on three hits and a pair of walks while striking out three batters. We still get the feeling that, in a pinch, Layne may see time in Arizona before the end of the season, especially if it’s a stop-gap measure – meaning if he can come up and fill in for a couple of weeks.
– Double-A Mobile: The BayBears are not having a good series in Birmingham. Mobile fell a game-and-a-half behind the Barons after a 6-0 loss on Sunday. Jake Elmore (2008) ended up with a base hit, walk and stolen base, while Taylor Harbin (2007) added a single.
– Class A Advanced Visalia: The Rawhide managed to get a single and a RBI from Chris Owings (2009) and Adam Eaton (2010), but could not muster any more offense in a 6-2 loss at Rancho Cucamonga on Sunday. Bobby Borchering (2009) and David Nick (2009) added base hits for Visalia. Christian Beltre (2007) was touched up a bit in his relief appearance, allowing two runs in two innings of work, while Victor Capellan (2009) did not allow a run in his two-inning stint.
– Class A South Bend: The Silver Hawks did not give starter Patrick Schuster (2009-10) any run support, and it resulted in a 5-1 loss at Peoria on Sunday. Schuster allowed three runs (two earned) in six innings of work in the setback. He allowed four hits and struck out five. Ender Inciarte and Roberto Rodriguez each had a base hit, accounting for two of the five South Bend safeties on the afternoon.
– DSL D-backs: The “Baby Backs” were off on Sunday, coming off a 7-2 win over the DSL Reds on Saturday. Alan Santiago (2009) went 0-for-2 with a pair of walks in the win, and is hitting .261 with three doubles and three RBIs so far this summer.
Today’s Games (and Osprey probables):
AAA Reno (37-27) vs. Tucson
AA Mobile (36-28) at Birmingham
A Adv. Visalia (28-34) at Modesto – the Diogenes Rosario (2009) starting pitcher experiment continues against the Nuts tonight …
A South Bend (31-32) has Monday off … they start a three-game series at Lansing on Tuesday.
DSL D-backs (4-7) at DSL Twins