The World Baseball Classic starts tonight … how many of you are watching Australia-Chinese Taipei? We know at least one person who will be watching … anyway, a quick bit of information to get you through the weekend …
– The Arizona Diamondbacks have posted pitchers scheduled for the weekend games, and as you can imagine, former Osprey are on the list, including a second look for Ray Hernandez (2011), who is scheduled to pitch again today against the Chicago Cubs, and former Osprey Scott Hairston (2001).
The rest of the schedule:
Today (Friday) – Andrew Chafin (2011) gets a call over from minor-league camp and is scheduled to pitch.
Saturday – Chase Anderson (2009) is on the short list.
Sunday – David Holmberg (2010), Eric Smith (2009) and Eury De La Rosa (2009) are on the scheduled lineup to throw.
The D-backs won on Thursday, holding on for a 6-5 win. And former Osprey played a role …
– Gerardo Parra (2006) had three hits and three RBIs in the win …
– Charles Brewer (2009) pitched three more shutout innings, picking up his second win of the Spring.
– Conrad Flynn (2011) pitched the ninth and, despite allowing a pair of baserunners, collected the save, his first of the Spring.
– Eric Smith (2009) and Eury De La Rosa (2009) combined for 2 1/3 innings of scoreless relief.
Today’s quick notes:
– Adam Eaton (2010) has the day off … he has been tweeting a lot today as well (@AdamSpankyEaton on Twitter) … after an 0-for-4 day on Thursday.
– In the lineup against the Cubs – Parra in CF and leading off, Miguel Montero (2002-03) catching and batting fourth, and Paul Goldschmidt (2009) will serve as the DH and hit fifth in the order.
And finally …
– John Hester (2006) has caught three games already for the Los Angeles Angels, posting a .286 average (2-for-7) with a RBI. Hester could be in line to serve as the backup catcher for the Angels, who are looking to contend for the AL West title.
– Bryan Shaw (2008) has not been mentioned as a potential replacement for Chris Perez as the Cleveland Indians’ closer, at least by the national MLB scribes. We shall see what transpires over the next month. Perez has a sore right (throwing) shoulder, and will miss a month or more.
Enjoy the weekend!! It’s currently 52 degrees in Missoula … getting closer by the day to June 20. It’ll be here before you know it.