Tagged: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
News and Notes – March 14
The latest stuff on former Osprey players …
– The Arizona Diamondbacks reassigned 15 players to minor-league camp, including players on their 40-man roster. Several of them are former Osprey who were in camp. They are:
Optioned to Triple-A Reno: RHP Chase Anderson RHP Charles Brewer LHP Eury De La Rosa Optioned to Double-A Mobile: RHP Keon Broxton RHP Eric Smith Reassigned to Minor League camp: LHP David Holmberg INF Chris Owings
All of the players except for Holmberg (2010 Osprey) played in Missoula in 2009. Keep an eye out for three of them this season – De La Rosa, Brewer and Smith, who each had a handful solid Cactus League outings. Expect both Holmberg and Owings to at least start the 2013 season at Double-A Mobile.
– EatonMania is runnin’ wild on the internet and print these days. It seems as if the more that Spring Training goes along, the more attention Adam Eaton (2010) is getting from the media and blog-sphere. If it’s not a blogger saying that Eaton could wow people more than Mike Trout, it’s a Sports Illustrated piece on the web. That all said, the key for Eaton to “wow” people in 2013 is to stay healthy, something that manager Kirk Gibson is hoping actually happens. At times, Eaton has struggled with that, but his all-out style does bring that along with it as a drawback. One thing is clear – his teammates like him, but the opposition doesn’t particularly care for him. (Last link is to an ESPN Insider post, but the beginning is still worth the read.)
– Ryan Robowski (2009) made it to the second round of cuts for the Detroit Tigers before getting reassigned to minor-league camp. The Non-Roster Invitee was touched up in his limited time in Grapefruit League action in his first Major League Spring Training action. Robo is likely headed to either back to Double-A Erie or Triple-A Toledo.
– It looks like John Hester (2006) has his hands full as he battles for the backup catcher’s job with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
– Scott Hairston (2001) will be platooning in right field for the Chicago Cubs, and hitting fifth in the lineup when he does start.
– Jarrod Parker (2007) has gone from not-so-sure-what-we-have to ace of the staff for the Oakland A’s … and wants more success in 2013.
– Another pitcher that wants a better 2013 is former Osprey starter Jorge De La Rosa (1999), who is starting to find his old self with the Colorado Rockies, almost two years removed from Tommy John surgery.
That will do it for now … other than a plug for the current O’s Poll of the Moment, which you can find on the right-hand column. Vote on it often – because the look into the Osprey crystal ball by Ben Catley is coming soon! We’ll see how your votes match up with his predictions on whom the next Osprey players will be to make their Major League debuts.