Here are some more tidbits on former Osprey as full squads are now working out, and minor-league players are rolling in to begin their seasons … plus, one has recently found a new home, and its in his old stompoing grounds.
One quick item before we get into the news of the day … you should listen to the Trail 103.3 Tuesday morning at 8:30, as Osprey Executive Vice President Matt Ellis and Vice President/General Manager Jeff Griffin will be joining Robert Chase’s morning show with a special announcement to share about the upcoming season.
Now to the news of the day:
– A good piece on former Osprey outfielder Adam Eaton (2010) and his pursiut of the leadoff role with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
– Former Osprey reliever Jose Valverde (2000) remains unsigned, and while it was looking like the New York Mets had shown interest, that has apparently fell apart. The Miami Marlins also have expressed interest in the veteran right-hander, who has received plenty of support, even now, from Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland.
– Scott Hairston (2001) is back with a team, signing a two-year, $5 million contract with the Chicago Cubs. Hairston will wear Sammy Sosa’s old number, 21. And, aparently, part of a platoon in right field.
– Interesting how baseball works sometimes. When the D-backs drafted Jarrod Parker (2007) with the ninth overall pick in the 2007 MLB Draft, they envisioned him as their future ace. Now, he’s a lock in a starting rotation … but for the Oakland A’s. The A’s also have a pair of former Osprey in their bullpen – Jordan Norberto (2006) and Evan Scribner (2007).
– It’s looking like Jorge De La Rosa (1999) is getting back to his old self. THe lefty is still bouncing back from Tommy John surgery in 2011.
Don’t forget, coming soon will be the annual look at which former Osprey is the most likely to make his MLB Debut this coming season. You may be surprised at the picks … and you will have a chance to vote on that as well. Be on the lookout for the new poll, which will appear on the blog this week!