Results tagged ‘ Hector Ambriz ’
The decision on roster spots is closing in for Major League Baseball teams as they get ready to break camp in both Arizona and Florida. In fact, some of the teams have already announced some of, if not all of, their intentions.
However, there are still players looking for teams to land on this season, with one of those being former Osprey reliever Jose Valverde (2000).
That could be solved soon. The free agent has not only shed the rough ending to last season with the Detroit Tigers, but he has shed some pounds, too. (more…)
by Ben Catley
94 days before the Season Opener and Home Opener
Well, the Major League Baseball season starts in two weeks. Yup, two weeks. I will let that set in for a moment …
Can you only imagine how this will all play out? No matter where your allegiances lie, there is plenty of intrigue about to play out all over the place.
Except in Center Field and at the top of the order for the Arizona Diamondbacks, where it is looking more and more like Adam Eaton (2010 Osprey) has taken full advantage of his opportunity and locked down that job. Eaton was featured in a MiLB Prospect Q&A recently, sharing a number of things, especially the reason why he doesn’t mind being a magnet for baseballs while he is at-bat. By the way, Eaton is hitting .358 this spring, with a pair of home runs and nine RBIs. (more…)
There are about 106 days before Opening Night at Ogren Park Allegiance Field. Get ready Osprey fans!!
– Ollie Osprey will be at Southgate Mall on Saturday from 11:30 until 1:30, dropping by for his annual visit at the Kids Fair. The Osprey will have a booth for the duration of the event, which will run from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. Kids will be able to join the Ollie Osprey Kid’s Club at the event, as well as sign up for the Osprey Baseball Camp, taking place on August 14-16 at Ogren Park Allegiance Field.
– The lineup for the Arizona Diamondbacks on Tuesday night, with the D-backs playing Team Mexico, included former Osprey Adam Eaton (2010) and Paul Goldschmidt (2009) hitting 1-3 in the order. Not too bad. Especially since Goldy is putting together one whale of a spring – minus last night’s 0-for-2 exhibition game against Mexico, Goldy is hitting .467 in eight Cactus League games, with a double, RBI and five walks. Eaton, meanwhile, ended up getting a half-inning interview on the telecast – which lasted six pitches. (more…)
Today brings us a mixed bag of things to check out, and know about, when it comes to the Missoula Osprey … just remember, it’s 111 days until the Osprey season opener, and 113 days before the Osprey home opener. It’s also 13 days before you begin to call the Osprey office and hear the countdown …
– If Gerardo Parra (2006 Osprey) wants to see some significant playing time this season with the Arizona Diamondbacks, hard work will have to come beforehand. So far, so good, according to this story.
– Another mixed-bag day for Osprey fans at Salt River Fields, with no Goldy, the return of CarGo and Mr. Smith getting touched up a bit by his former organization. Check out the box score here.
– Hector Ambriz (2006) will begin the season, by all indications, at Triple-A Columbus. The right-handed pitcher was outrighted to Columbus by the Cleveland Indians in late October, this after he was shut down in September with a sore elbow – a problem that Ambriz experienced during Spring Training. Ambriz was selected by Cleveland in the Rule V Draft in 2009, and stayed on the Active (25-man) Roster for the Tribe the entire season (DL time included). Ambriz was 0-2 with a 5.59 ERA in 2010, his first in the Major Leagues.
– Nothing like impressing your new teammates. Scott Hairston (2001 Osprey) did just that in a New York Mets intrasquad game last week. Hairston is off to a solid start this spring, going 2-for-5 in three Grapefruit League games (thru Tuesday’s games) with a double and two runs scored.
– Look for more information soon on a Kids National Anthem Tryout. It will take place during the Kids Fair on March 12, which means that Ollie Osprey will be flying by and making an appearance. The Kids Fair is the typical first weekend that Ollie gets to stretch his wings and fly back home to Missoula, although he has been spotted around town a little more frequently this winter. Details are coming soon.
– Lastly today, when looking for Osprey alumni stuff, we stumbled across this video of former Osprey, and Pioneer League Triple-Crown winner, Jesus Cota (2001), who has spent the past four seasons playing for Saltillo of the Mexican League. Cota was doing one of those “Get to know your Sarapellos” pieces. The audio, by the way, is in Spanish, although we’re pretty sure Denzel Washington translates the same in both English and Spanish.
Watching that swing, it’s not hard to see him winning a Triple Crown. He’s also hit over .330 the past two seasons for Saltillo, inlcuding when they won the Mexican League championship in 2009.